This is the third post about issues that one of our client's found recently when they transitioned from BPOS to Office. You can see all of these issues in Support Stories
. This time, we're talking about getting Lync working on mobile devices like Android phones, iPhones, iPad and Windows Phone 7 phones.
Lync Online for Mobile Devices
After transitioning from BPOS to Office 365, no users were able to use the Lync mobile app. Whenever a user tried, they receive a server error. Trying the same device with an Office 365 (non-transitioned) account was fine, so this seemed more like a transition issue. This was a very easy fix of adding a new DNS record for the domain. Here are the steps you need to take:
- Log in to your Office 365 account (you must be an administrator for these steps).
- Under the 'Admin' panel, click 'Domains' on the left-hand side navigation bar.
- Click on the radio button next to your primary domain name and click 'View DNS Settings'. (You may need to edit domain intent to allow Exchange Online and Lync Online)
- Look at the bottom of this page for the lyncdiscover DNS record.
- Log in to your domain registrar's control panel and add a new CNAME record with these details.
- Wait for roughly half an hour.
- Try the mobile device again.
- Congratulations, you have won. If this still doesn't work, submit a support request through Office 365's admin panel.
With the beautiful day that it was on Monday, I was lucky enough to be working out in Co. Kildare for the day. In fact, if you look below, you'll see that I was actually just working in a field! This didn't prevent me from working at all though, in fact the day was extremely productive. The combination of a USB modem and Office 365 meant that it felt like I was at my desk, but in the beautiful sunshine! I even managed to run two Lync Online meetings: One a development meeting and the other an introduction to using Lync for online meetings, which involved (among other tasks) me sharing my desktop to show how to set up Lync Online meetings and explaining the best techniques in hosting online meetings.
Working From Wherever - Using Lync Online from Office 365
This was a great learning experience for me - with a USB modem (and a relatively decent Internet connection), I was able to work from a field. This means I'm not as tied to the office as I would otherwise be - I can work from wherever I want.
Lync Online is one of the components of Office 365
. Contact Conor in TaskLight today on 01 901 0304 or firstname.lastname@example.org
to start your free 30-day trial of Office 365
and discover your dream office.